The troop headed up to San Mateo campground (part of San Onofre State Beach) for the first time. We had some good sites that had the adults behind a screen of bushes and trees. On Saturday morning, we hiked out to Trestles beach and enjoyed the sun and sand for a while. We saw some whales that were very close to the shore. We later found out we missed a dead whale washing up on shore by a day. After lunch, we did some skills and advancement. In the evening, we an very nice campfire.
Saturday, April 09, 2016
A couple friends are I headed up to the Laguna Mountatin Recreation Area for a good hike. We parked at the information center along Sunrise Highway and headed out along the Sunset Trail. After some incline and then a gentle decline, we headed south on the Big Laguna Trail. We stopped for lunch and coffee at a nice spot overlooking Big Laguna which had a decent amount of water. We then followed the trail back to the car ending up hiking 11+ miles. The weather all day was threatening rain but we never got anything more that some light mist. The rain threat kept most of the people away and there were only a few on the trail. Great hike on a great day.
Sunday, April 03, 2016
A slew of books were read about a variety of subjects
- The World Was Never the Same: Events that Changed History by Prof. J. Rufus Fears
- FastExercise by Michael Mosely and Peta Bee
- FastDiet by Michael Mosley and Mimi Spencer
- Surf, Sand and Stone: How Waves, Earthquakes and Other Forces Shape the Southern California Coast by Keith Meldahl - highly recommended book on the forces at work in California
- Primal Connection by Mark Sission
- Vimy by Pierre Berton
- Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills